Monday, August 14, 2006

And magic yields...



This weekend flew by. I got too drunk friday night and felt like crap Saturday morning. We filmed all day Saturday and it felt like all day Sunday. We are pretty much done. A little relief came over me, but mostly I'm thinking about the rest we need to film, the footage we just got and if it was good enough, the editing process, the music, etc. This was all a good learning experience for me. I feel more confident with the camera, which is something I was hoping for. It's so much fun to write something and see people interpret that writing and bring to it a new life. There's a better word than 'fun', I guess. Maybe cathartic because it purges my bowels. It's laxative to see your writing acted out. If I didn't know it before, this summer has made me realize how much I enjoy the interaction between writing a script, an actors interpretation, and the visualization of the story. It is vastly more enjoyable than the act of writing alone. In writing you have to paint the scene, always describing the room your characters are in, the weather, the colors and shapes of the surroundings. Which I find arduous. Script writing is almost pure dialogue, which is my favorite. And the scene, well, sure you can write that a certain scene is in such and such a place and the day is sunny or gloomy, but the fact is you don't know what the weather is going to be like the day your actor(s) are available. So it's up in the air really, and I like that. If your filming inside I suppose the set could be very detailed, like in Royal Tenenbaums. But I'd rather it be more on a whim. Spontaneity yields magic. That's what I'm really trying to say.

2 kind words:

Blogger bethany said...

I like you.
(No! Not like that...)

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, beth.

-William J. TourDeTour

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home