Monday, February 13, 2006

share

I read some things I'd like to share. But now I forget them. I am reading The Great Gatsby. I liked when Tom Buchannan broke his mistress' nose. That came out of nowhere. no where. now here. words are nuts. I read this very strange and original story by Murakami called "Shinagawa Monkey". I highly recommend this story. It involves a girl who cannot seem to remember her name and a talking monkey that steals them. And not written in a sci-fi kind-of way. I know what you're thinking and you're wrong - you would like this story. I also read an interview of Oliver Sacks, who wrote Awakenings. Which is a great movie, by the way. He is this neurologist turned novelist who writes about people in the extremes - as in people who are catatonic or deaf or blind. I'm not sure if 'extreme' is the best word. Some of the things I remembered: A blind mechanic, who was very good at what he did, received an operation at about age 40 for sight. But he couldn't make any sense of what he saw. His tactile vision did not line up with this actual vision. Well, not that tactile vision is not actual vision - I just don't know the word for it. So he couldn't be a mechanic anymore and ended up killing himself. The other thing I read about was this autistic woman who called herself an 'Anthropologist on Mars'. Autistic people have a very hard time relating to people on a very basic level, a level that your average person takes for granted. But she still craved warmth and connection. So she created a hug machine that applied pressure all around her when she was feeling lonely, or whatever it is she felt she lacked. I'm not sure if she'd say lonely. But it is a very vivid and sad image. So I thought I'd share it. There's something nice about it too. And I'm not really sure why called herself an Anthropologist on Mars - maybe because she felt so different from everyone else? That's the easy answer, I guess.

That's more or less what I wanted to share. I've been really strange lately. Pretty depressed and irritable. But it comes in cycles.

I have a strong desire to write stories, but I have no motivation to start because I have nothing to say. And I do not like what I have written. So I will not write anything and I will die in a pile of crap.

Happy Valentines Day!