
In case you're keeping up with what I have been reading I gave up on both Lolita and The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Here's why. After Humbert slept with Lolita, which I knew was going to happen but didn't want to happen, I sort of didn't care about anything else. Mainly because there was nothing Nabokov gave me to care about. They were just driving around America, going from hotel to hotel. But I kept reading and at about 20 pages away from being done I put the book down, as I had many times before, and said to myself - that's it. I am a very committed guy, honestly. I have always stuck things out. If I am halfway done with a book I have always kept reading to the end. I have never before read 300 out 320 pages and quit. Sorry Nabakov, try harder next time.
The deal with Kundera's Lightness was the over explanation. It really got to me. The narrator condescended to tell me what past events meant not once but two or three times, just in case I forgot. I mean, it is true that once you read a page you cannot flip back to re-read. That's why book's precede the internet in terms of BULLSHIT.
Anyway, I did get into Harry Crews' Naked in Garden Hills. I just started it Thursday and I've finished it. Crews is one of the writers that Larry Brown was into. I like Crews' novel writing better than Brown's. But Brown's short stories are perfect.
That all being said, I am going to go to Ikea with Em to celebrate the posting of this post when I posted it.


